Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Project 4 Link and Artist Statement | Week 16




https://vimeo.com/148309931
Project 04 Performance | Artist Statement
“Nighttime Routine” By: Vanessa Puello

      I was inspired by a documentary I recently saw following the life of a woman who has worn makeup for 23 hours a day for the past 20-odd years in her life. Every day she would apply multiple layers of foundation and her favorite bright blue eyeshadow. She has been suffering with body dysmorphia disorder for so long and finally sought out help. It amazes me how there are people out there who get anxiety and break down with just the thought of not wearing makeup out in public. I personally know a few people who refuse to leave their house without concealing their blemishes. I wanted my concept to focus on how society has put so much pressure on women when it comes to makeup. It seems like now-a-days if women are wearing too much make up they look trashy; if they're wearing too little make up or none at all they get comments about how they might look tired or ill. Society will never be pleased.

     Personally, I love everything about make up. I am a self proclaimed girly girl. Nothing thrills me more than shopping for new make up and trying new products and brands. I am not however, someone who feels pressure to put on makeup before I leave my house every day. What bothers me the most is when I put on make up and receive comments like, "wow you look nice, who are you trying to impress?". I wear make up for myself. It makes me feel happy and I enjoy the process of applying make up. It has become somewhat therapeutic for me and I am fascinated with how I can be standing in my bathroom for an hour just applying make up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment