Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Project 3: Sound - Crystal Giraldo

Artist Statement
Fall 2015 is my first semester back in school after a solid two years out of the game. It has been a wonderful welcome back but that does not come without its struggles. Getting back into the rhythm of juggling school, work and the occasional sleep and social has not been the easiest to do. With so many things on my plate and usually running on such little sleep, I have become an expert at rushed mornings, in my own messy-routinely way. My sound piece “Get2Gettin” is an assemblage of different sounds and noises that I experience when I am trying to wake up and head out the door in as few minutes as possible.

The piece begins with the sound of my alarm clock, followed by different noises I create as I am getting ready to face the new day, such as a toaster and the sound of my vitamin bottle being shaken. Several of the sounds are rhythmically composed in order to represent the recurring sequence of events that I go through on daily basis. The crescendo of the piece leads up to a common interaction between my clumsy cat and I, in this particular one, she is confronted knocking over and breaking a glass. I wanted to to create an abstract soundscape with this piece; one that depicts both the disorderly/orderly and routinely/random sounds that make up my mornings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment