Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Artist Statement- Dana Hatchett

Artist Statement

            For this piece I really wanted to do something that involved society’s beauty standards, regarding females. I wanted to show the process of putting on makeup and feeling like it is not done right and that maybe you put on makeup but you still feel like you don’t look good. I wanted to make a video that kind of portrayed the high level of silliness when you are too hard on yourself. I also wanted to highlight the makeup routine that females have to go through and the ridiculousness of that. I want to show that girls are too hard on themselves when it comes to cosmetics.  Women have to wear makeup when they go to their jobs or have an interview. If they do not do that they are seen as unprofessional.  
            The actress in this video repeats “I need to pretty” signifying that she must fit into a certain mold to feel “pretty” and the fact that she is setting the bar way too high. At the beginning she starts off slow then by the end of the video she is going crazy with her makeup and her voice gets louder. It's too the point where it makes you cringe. 

            I think the theme that I want people to pick up on while watching this piece is that  you should stop fitting into a mold that is unattainable. An individual needs to make up their own definitions and standards in life so that they have a piece of mind.  It’s ridiculous to be so hard on yourself as a woman. I think each, individual women need to make up their on own minds on what they feel is right rather than society.

https://vimeo.com/148289638     

No comments:

Post a Comment