Thursday, December 3, 2015

Conversation with an Artist Piece - Hattie Mallot

https://vimeo.com/147784731

http://www.tehchinghsieh.com

My piece was based on Tehching Hsieh's one year piece where he spent a year outside. I chose to respond with a simulation of a person spending a week outside. However in my version, since it was a simulation, I chose to take one item from the person each day at 8 am and see how they adjusted. I did this in order to make it interesting. After two days, he had become unbearably lonely. Although there were people who came and went by the area he was staying in, he never chose to interact with them. After a day without a bath or any way to clean himself, he became filthy. With a lake and a garden of fruit and vegetables at his disposal, he never made use of them. I chose to not interfere in any way besides taking items away from him, as I didn't want him to survive simply because I made him. The simulation was supposed to last a week, however the person in the simulation died in a grill fire after four days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment