Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Final Project - Crystal Giraldo

Artist Statement

Women have long dealt with the stigmatization that comes along with menstruation and with being told what they should do with their reproductive systems. This topic has only recently been addressed and the taboo of “women on their periods” is finally being confronted. My piece “Get Over It,” is intended to make a direct and exaggerated statement about how normal a woman’s menstruation is and to emphasize the “my uterus, my choice” idea. This performance piece takes place on a stretch of wall covered in graffiti on 34th Street, a very popular street in Gainesville, Florida.
In this piece I use female sanitary napkins to create a simplified shape of the uterus on part of the wall I painted white.  After I finish creating the shape, I squirt an entire bottle of ketchup all over the napkins, creating the visual appearance of blood. I chose the wall covered in graffiti because much like menstruation, graffiti was (and still is) a taboo act and topic. This is also a place where people go to express themselves and have their voices and messages heard. With this project I hope to bring awareness to the global issues surrounding menstruation and to help people understand that this is something that is OKAY to talk about. It is also meant to stress the idea that a woman should have complete control over the choices she makes regarding her reproductive and sexual desires. 

              

No comments:

Post a Comment