Monday, December 7, 2015

Proj4_final-CM

Link to Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/148178946


Artist Statement


            The performance is about playing video games, which was the only idea I came up with for performance. The other idea I had was cooking, but I used it for the Convo exercise. Since I could not use any video game characters I decided to use my face instead (idea taken from class). The concept for this performance is to show the different emotions that can arise from playing video games, as well as the changes in mood and even personality itself. Also, this is a way to demonstrate how a person can forget about the real world and dive very deep in the world of videogames, in which the virtual world from a screen becomes the real world for the player. This performance is also a question about the concept of art: can this be considered art when using someone else’s work to make it your own? A gaming company developed the game I played for the performance.


            The first idea was to just show my face, but after the comments of the draft, another idea came to show the controller as well. So, this time it was not going to be like I first had in mind of playing video games and having my roommates talk about something else or making noise and using that as background sounds. This idea was like connecting the video game world with the real world and producing a whole new world in which is hard to tell what is real or virtual. And that is why the video of the controller is not in sync with the one of my face, to show that there are different instances of the real and virtual worlds, which, again, is hard to tell which one is which.

No comments:

Post a Comment