Thursday, August 27, 2015

Quick and the Dead | Week 1 8/25

     One piece that stood out to me from the Quick and the Dead exhibition was Michael Sailstorfer's Zeit ist keine Autobahn (Time Is No Highway). The artwork is made up of a car tire connected to a motor that continuously turns the wheel against the gallery's wall, leaving residue. I think this piece is a great example of art that employs a form of time because it is constantly in motion, however at the same time it shows an example of time standing still. Although the tire is spinning, it has nowhere to go which contradicts itself.
     When I first saw this piece it reminded me of myself and of what I have went through these last few days of the semester. As a new transfer student, it has taken me a long time to familiarize myself with UF's campus. Like the tire, I was constantly in motion all around campus trying to find my classes and bus stops. However, since I was lost I was getting nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment