Thursday, August 27, 2015

Sitting and Walking Observations - Hattie Mallot

What I noticed when I was sitting:

It's so humid out. It makes everything feel closer to me, most of all, my hair. There's an ant crawling across the opposite page. A group of people just walked by me. I think there were three of them. So much is happening all at once, it's hard to remember what just happened. I can't write everything that I notice because there's so much happening at once. The table I'm sitting at is damp. I hear an owl calling. I always forget it's possible to hear them around here. I forget that's a thing you can hear if you're outside around this time. I can hear many cars, mostly when they're braking. There are letters carved into the table I'm sitting at. I just saw a light come on in the reflection of a window.

The first thing I noticed when I started walking was that almost instantly my awareness heightened in my vision and relatively lowered in my hearing. As I was walking I noticed things like the amount of loose material on the ground, like sticks and dead leaves from last fall. I mean, where else do they go? I noticed that after a certain height, the sky is completely empty. while everything below that height is rich in detail. I noticed the differences in light and shadow, and how quiet it was when I turned a corner. I noticed how much movement and stillness was around me, and found myself wondering, if I took out everything that's moving in my environment, would the grass seem to come to life? I noticed a lot of color (mostly green), and how when you don't have anything to do, time passes slower than it seems to. I was noticing how the buildings around me were slowly falling apart and how even though trees are coming out of the ground, it looks like they're just on top of it because the dirt has settled and packed in around them over time. Primarily, I noticed that it's impossible to turn off the voice in your head. I was constantly narrating my thoughts in my own head.

No comments:

Post a Comment