Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Quick and the Dead - Hattie Mallot

   One work from The Quick and the Dead I was intrigued by  was "Untitled (Lohma)" by Michael Sailstorfer. Although I am not able to see the piece for myself, the description of it as a warehouse eternally looping in the moments before it explodes really captured my imagination, because it evokes an image of the building breathing.
   The image of the building breathing made me think of how life is a stage of us breathing in a loop before our eventual death, and how things that are alive are just things that are dying their entire existence before they actually achieve death in the end.
   I would say that the work addresses life as a period of time that is repetitive, instead of a period of time in which change occurs. If the video was to be played backward, it would not be noticeably different from if it were played forward. I find that interesting because I think most people would see life as a period of time in which change occurs, with the aging of a human being an arrow of time rather than a cycle, but this work captures an experience of life in a moment that goes on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment