Thursday, August 27, 2015

Sitting and Walking Observations | Week 1 8/27

10 Minutes Of Sitting

I decided to sit in the hallway outside of our classroom in the Norman Hall Addition and recorded what I experienced. For the first 5 minutes I became aware of my surroundings. There were empty tables with cords and outlets scattered around the wide hallway. One of my classmates sat about 20 feet in front of me also completing this assignment. Around me were empty rooms full of computers. The classroom to the right of me was having a lecture where I could briefly understand the words the professor was saying.

Although it was just the two of us in the hallway, there were multiple noises that I heard. Creaking bathroom doors, toilet flushes, footsteps, whispering, pen clicks from my classmate and the continuous hum of the AC flowing along the building.

After about 7-8 minutes, my hands grew colder as I kept writing down my thoughts. I kept hearing the same noises as before, but new ones emerged. I heard a bird-like alarm coming from the outside, my classmate turning some pages from her notebook, and the noise I made from my pen and hand brushing against my paper seemed to grow louder.

10 Minutes Of Walking

I began to walk along the outside of the building to continue this exercise. At first I felt relaxed, finally being able to stretch my legs after sitting in class all day. My route also consisted of walking along the field and the parking garage. I overheard multiple conversations as I passed groups of people who were standing outside. I heard multiple scooters and cars driving by, and also saw a few of my classmates walking around.

For the last 5 minutes of this exercise I decided to walk back the building. I started feeling discomfort on my left foot since I have a blister. I became aware of the pain as the time went on and only thought about sitting back down again. A constant noise that I heard were my own footsteps as I stepped on leaves and twigs, hearing a crunching sound and feeling the breaks. As time went on the humidity and heat started becoming uncomfortable and I walked back inside the building for comfort.



No comments:

Post a Comment