Thursday, August 27, 2015

Sitting and Walking Observations-Rebecca Shalloway

Sitting
Time: 6:54 PM-7:04 PM
Location: Outside of Norman Library on a bench in Courtyard by entry way stairs

A bird is chirping right above me. Two men around 18 years old open a squeaky door to my left. With their flip flops they walking crunching dry leaves beneath them. Yelling on the field occurs. A motorcycle drives by with a roar. My pen has way too much ink on it that it bobs back and forth when it touches the paper. The boys are opening their sandwich with plastic wrap attach. The door shuts again as three girls walk by speaking either Japanese, Mandarin or Korean. Then they a laugh, a universal language. Their voices slowly fade as the pass by me and walk behind me. One of the boys reaches for a napkin to wipe his mouth. He pauses from his fast eating (He's really hungry) to take a breath. A cellphone in the opposite direction rings and catches my attention. I don't see anyone but her the common iPhone vintage phone ringtone. It stops 3 loops in.


Walking
Time: 7:05-7:15
Location: From Norman Courtyard to the End of norman Garage along Sorority Row

I walk out of the courtyard watch my steps and the pavement color (a damp gray) covered in shadow turns bright yellow from the sunlight. I look up and see the rays of the sun glaring in my eyes and see glimpses of male figures running around on the soccer field ahead of me. A fence separates me from the players on the field. I see the shadows of the fence lay against my skin since the sun is coming from the West. It is setting a deep yellow-orange color. The men on the field are yelling and clapping in congratulations of c good pass. On my other side a group of 5 girls are talking with their cell phones in hand, awaiting the next text, snapchat or instagram post. They all get into a black Honda car. All four doors shut within 6 seconds and I glance back to the other side to see one of the players dripping in sweet, panting. I reach the end of the garage and walk back towards the class. It is quiet except for the kicking of the ball, the yelling of the players, the motorcycles from 13th street and the cars that pass by me in the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment