Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Quick & The Dead - Crystal Giraldo

A piece that I found captivating in the showcase The Quick & The Dead was Spilt Milk by Harold Edgerton. Using engineering and film, Edgerton was able to capture the exact moment a glass of milk fell and hit the floor. The image employs time in the simple sense that it seems to freeze it, giving its audience the chance to see something they would not have been to see on their own. When I look at this piece, I see it as an event that is happening in the now. Despite this "frozen in time" effect, there is still a lot of movement going on and the imagery in this piece is so active I feel as if I can almost hear the shatter and impact of the glass hitting the floor. I know I definitely wouldn't cry after this epic glass of Spilt Milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment