Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Dana Hatchett- In-class Activity Sound


The work that I chose to analyze was Metastasis by Iannis Xenakis. This work was definitely unique sounding. It sounded like it could be used as music for a scary movie at some parts. But one of the things that was unique to this piece was that each verse ( I am not a musician so I don't know if that's the right word) sounded different from each other. It sounded as if there were multiple different rhythm captured for this piece.  You could hear the sound of a train honking, and a train moving and little clicks in the background. The sound of I think a violin is definitely present which makes me think of music. Some of it was eerie and unsettling. There was definitely some crescendos used to build anticipation which added to the unsettling effect.  Sound to me is anything that projects frequency. This piece has many different noises intertwined with the violin. It sounded as if there was a horn like maybe a tuba being used. I would characterize this work as music to some extent. I think that some parts of the piece, especially the song could be used in a film. It is definitely art because I think this piece can have many different interpretations when it comes to the meaning of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment