Tuesday, October 20, 2015

In-Class Assignment - Hattie Mallot

I listened to "Pulse Demon"by Mertz Bow. It sounds like the entire piece is sound rather than what would be considered music, since there is no melody. However, I would argue that the piece has a sense of suspense similar to music. It also has repetition and rhythm that makes the listener ok with continuing to listen. It really sounds like TV static and other electronic distress signals. At other times it sounds like there are car engines running or people running with wet shoes.This piece is actually pretty distressing to listen to...it makes my ears hurt, and I want to stop listening to it. It feels really fast paced. I would characterize this as art, because I think it's meant to make the listener feel a certain way, to evoke a certain reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment