Thursday, October 15, 2015

Project 2 - Crystal Giraldo


Artist Statement


             Mornings are a time for the day's first cup of coffee and moments of self-reflection. In my piece, “Sugar,” I am confronted by my own subconscious, who is sitting right across from me at the breakfast table, about a decision I am constantly facing. My subconscious (the figure in white) catches me putting a bit too much sugar in my coffee, resulting in her taking it away from me and refusing to give it back. The sugar represents both a literal and metaphorical struggle that I, along with many other people, face when it comes to indulging in moderate amounts. 
Throughout the piece both my subconscious and I grow annoyed with one another because neither of us is getting what we want. I want to keep adding sugar to my coffee, although I know I shouldn’t. Even if I did add all the sugar I wanted, I would ultimately be tormented with the guilt of doing so. The piece ends as I am getting up from the table and walking away with my better half getting up to follow me. This inner “Sugar” battle is an ongoing one and I can only hope to get better at finding a balance in all areas of my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment