Thursday, October 15, 2015

Project 2 & Artist Statement | Week 8


Project 02 6’ X 6’ | Artist Statement
“No Escape” By: Vanessa Puello

            My 6’ by 6’ project is titled “No Escape”. It was filmed over the duration of three separate days. As I was brainstorming ideas, it occurred to me that Art Bash would be the day before Halloween. This led to most of my ideas being somewhat dark when it came to the subject matter I wanted to focus on. The basic plot of my video is about a girl who is running through the hall. She tries to hide and escape from whoever is chasing her, but in the end her attacker wins. I used the hallway in my apartment building as my setting, and relied on the ceiling lights in order to get dramatic shadows. I decided to film at night, and had help from two of my roommates. One was the actress; the other one helped me behind the scenes. She was in charge of dragging the other roommate for the end of my video. My initial storyboard stayed the same, however, I found that after filming I needed to refine certain shots and angles because of the narrow hallway and my 6 foot by 6 foot restraints. 

            I purposely left out the identity of the attacker for many reasons. If I had added a second actor, automatically people would assume the subject matter would be about domestic violence. While I understand that this video could still be interpreted the same way without revealing the attacker, it was not my initial intention. I wanted to leave room for interpretation and let my audience decide who or what the attacker might be. The attacker necessarily does not have to be a person or animal. It could be internal struggles someone has that can’t be seen physically. To me, the attacker would not be a person at all.      

No comments:

Post a Comment