Tuesday, October 20, 2015

In class exercise, analyzing audio - Crystal Giraldo

The piece I chose to analyze for this exercise was "Pulse Demon" by Mertz Bow. It is definitely a bizarre combination of continuous creepy, loud, unsettling noises. The different sounds I heard were; static screeching, that noise when you're flipping through radio stations on an old school radio and some sort of small, engine-ran machinery in the background picking up speed or strength, like a motorcycle. If I were to randomly hear this at some point in my day, without understanding its content, I would characterize this as noise pollution. It isn't very pleasant or enjoyable to listen to, at all. Content and the artists' intent is crucial when it comes to trying to understand this piece and I would have to do more research to get a better grasp of what that is. It isn't music in my opinion but it might be art depending on what the artist intended it to be, because it definitely evokes a response from its audience. It would probably do well as a sound effect in a horror, suspense, and/or apocalyptic movie.    

No comments:

Post a Comment