Tuesday, October 13, 2015

myProj2_Draft/finalVer_CM

Link here:
https://vimeo.com/142331570

Artist Statement


Since I was not allowed to use computer graphics this time and I still wanted to stick with my artwork (and the only one I know how to do), I decided to do it about a computer. The difference this time is that it is not a program (software) that you cannot touch but rather the hardware, the physical components of a computer. Sometimes I find it amazing how something as flat as a motherboard can hold several chips and components (resistors, transistors, capacitors, etc.). Even though it might look like a 2-D object, there are several layers of buses (communication paths) between components. In addition, the 1-inch wide and long (approx.) processor houses thousands of transistors!
           
            I wanted to show the motherboard (and the video card) as a tiny city, that is why I used the camera as if I was filming a city from sky. Some sudden changes in focus that I made while filming the interior of the computer tower were to symbolize how fast computers communicate with the Processor, RAM, video card, and other electronic circuits.

            I chose the spinning the computer as the beginning because, when I was recording videos, I remembered that I needed “sense of space,” so I finished recording a piece and then I decided to do this shot. I liked the part in which the cover of the tower falls, this idea popped to my mind all of a sudden.


            Overall, it was hard for me to manipulate the camera the way I wanted it (I borrowed one from FAC). I had issues with focus, steadiness, and space availability. The latter one referring to the space inside the computer tower (there were IDE cables obstructing my way), so I could not record the whole motherboard, but I could record most of it. Also, I had to do the recordings fast because I think there was a roach living inside the tower (or maybe it was dead).

No comments:

Post a Comment